Chromosome

DNA!
(Made this ages ago, but never got around to uploading a picture)

The DNA strand is one continuous thing. One end goes into the chromosome. Can you find the other end?

14 thoughts on “Chromosome”

1. Kristi Vogel says:

That’s awesome, Eva!
    (I think I found the other end) 😉

2. Cath Ennis says:

Love it! Very creative and well-executed. But… where did the histones go?

3. Bob O'Hara says:

Hm, is the other end fraying?

4. Eva Amsen says:

I guess the histones would be right where it winds into the chromosome? Not very realistic, of course, that that is mostly done and just has one tip left to roll up.

5. Richard P. Grant says:

Heh, that’s well cool!

6. Mike Fowler says:

M’encanta! (“translation here”:http://translate.google.com/ if you get the language right…)

7. Åsa Karlström says:

so… this is a painting right? (I was deeply into thinking cross-stitching or other embroidery for awhile). Lovely Eva!!
    I don’t even know how you could make the DNA that even and not visible where you took breaks… absolutly great! (ps. hope you found a home by now, or very soon!)

8. Cath Ennis says:

Oh… I think you’re right! I thought embroidery too, at first.

9. Heather Etchevers says:

Me-too-‘ncanta 🙂
    Scientist musicians have gotten a lot of good press lately (can’t be bothered to find the links, as Eva knows them better than I do). Scientist artists recently got a great expo right in downtown Paris. And there has been a whole “series”:http://www.artdanslacite.asso.fr/ underway on introducing arts into the hospital setting. Perhaps we could have a virtual exhibition? Eva, Kristi, here’s looking at you to start…

10. Heather Etchevers says:

(Oh, and some other folks on here take some pretty fine “photographs”:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardipus/sets/72157621720245543/ as well, so let’s not eschew photography either.)

11. Henry Gee says:

Lovely! I shall set this as off-piste science homework for Gees Minor and Minima, who, thanks to Kristi, have been sensitized to the dynamic interface that exists between science and craft activities.

12. Kate Grant says:

It must have taken you ages, did Penny help at all?

13. Stephen Curry says:

I too thought it was an embroidered bedspread at first sight but am still impressed by your painterly skills!

14. Eva Amsen says:

I did the border while watching TV, for the most part, over a period of about a week. First I was just trying out the new brush that could do tiny lines, and squiggled for fun, and the I realized the squiggles looked like DNA.
    After the border was done, I left it for a while, and then took another few minutes one afternoon to do the chromosome and just get it over with =)
    (The squiggles were more fun to do)

Comments are closed.