Etsy Wednesday: science valentines

I used to do Etsy Wednesday, but then I ran out of time and Etsy ran out of new awesome science geekery to feature, so it slowly faded away. But now! Now I found Science Valentines by Stephanie Burrows Fox and I obviously have to share:
science valentines - marie curie
My favourite one is Heisenberg saying “I’m certain about you”. Aww <3

But I’m slightly troubled by the one with Tesla. Because elsewhere on the internet, Kate Beaton draws a brilliant (mostly Canadian) history-themed web comic called Hark, a Vagrant, and there Tesla is celibate.
teslacomic.png

So maybe send the Tesla valentine to people you don’t quite like as much as you like science.

Eva

Eva Amsen is a writer, science communicator and blogger. She has been writing about science and scientists in art/culture/life since 2005, both on this blog and for other sites and publications. Portfolio | Twitter | Contact

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Heather Etchevers says:

I luuuuuurv Kate Beaton. And thank you for all the excellent stuff in ONE PLACE!

I still remember the shower curtain with the periodic table you had plugged long ago, that I was going to get during our year in Paris, but I didn’t get organized, and now we’re going to have glass doors in our bathroom shower.

But I could always get me some Salmonella soap.

2. Cath Ennis says:

Hmm, I thought I’d already commented, but it’s not here, and it didn’t have any links in it, so it must be lost rather than caught in spam filters.

Awesome find! I like the cartoon, too. I greatly enjoyed David Bowie’s portrayal of Tesla in _The Prestige_, although I obviously enjoyed Hugh Jackman more 🙂

3. Viktor Poór says:

Eva, my female family members gonna curse your name. I went through your Etsy wednesday collection and found this knitted frog. I will spend the weekend persuading my mom or grandma to knit that.

4. Linda Lin says:

I really want that Salmonella soap. Would make a good prank in the lab or the bathrooms.

David Bowie as Tesla? That’s..interesting casting.

the valentines kind of remind me of classic biology and chemistry pick-up lines, like "If I were an enzyme, I’d be DNA helicase, so I can unzip your genes".

5. Laura Wheeler says:

Thanks Eva for compiling everything in one place

@Cath I agree- real genius casting indeed!! Thanks for the pic

@Linda i love the Salmonella soap too- it would be an awful mistake though if someone in the lab confused a real petri dish for the soap, and washed their hands with the real culture…uhooo

@Viktor apparently someone in the Nature canteen was wearing your Genetic keyboard t-shit yesterday! I guess we all love a bit of geek chic memorabilia 🙂

6. Kathryn DeFilippo says:

I am so glad that I found this blog. It is so wonderful, inspiring and fun to see science and art together. Thanks for keeping science sexy!

Kathryn