Etsy Wednesday: science valentines

I used to do “Etsy Wednesday” on this blog and on easternblot. But then I ran out of time and Etsy ran out of new awesome science geekery to feature, so it slowly faded away. But now! Now I found Science Valentines by Stephanie Burrows Fox and I obviously have to share:
mariecurieheart.jpg
My favourite one is Heisenberg saying “I’m certain about you”. Aww <3
But I'm slightly troubled by the one with Tesla. Because elsewhere on the internet, Kate Beaton draws a brilliant (mostly Canadian) history-themed web comic called Hark, a Vagrant, and there Tesla is celibate:
teslacomic.png
(Click for bigger, or visit the original page.)
So maybe send the Tesla valentine to people you don’t quite like as much as you like science.
I’ve added the valentines – and a slew of old favourites from Etsy Wednesday – to a treasury on Etsy: Go look at all the science-geeky things.

7 thoughts on “Etsy Wednesday: science valentines”

1. Heather Etchevers says:

I luuuuuurv Kate Beaton. And thank you for all the excellent stuff in ONE PLACE!

I still remember the shower curtain with the periodic table you had plugged long ago, that I was going to get during our year in Paris, but I didn’t get organized, and now we’re going to have glass doors in our bathroom shower.

But I could always get me some Salmonella soap.

2. Cath Ennis says:

Hmm, I thought I’d already commented, but it’s not here, and it didn’t have any links in it, so it must be lost rather than caught in spam filters.

Awesome find! I like the cartoon, too. I greatly enjoyed David Bowie’s portrayal of Tesla in _The Prestige_, although I obviously enjoyed Hugh Jackman more ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Viktor Poรณr says:

Eva, my female family members gonna curse your name. I went through your Etsy wednesday collection and found this knitted frog. I will spend the weekend persuading my mom or grandma to knit that.

4. Linda Lin says:

I really want that Salmonella soap. Would make a good prank in the lab or the bathrooms.

David Bowie as Tesla? That’s..interesting casting.

the valentines kind of remind me of classic biology and chemistry pick-up lines, like "If I were an enzyme, I’d be DNA helicase, so I can unzip your genes".

5. Laura Wheeler says:

Thanks Eva for compiling everything in one place

@Cath I agree- real genius casting indeed!! Thanks for the pic

@Linda i love the Salmonella soap too- it would be an awful mistake though if someone in the lab confused a real petri dish for the soap, and washed their hands with the real culture…uhooo

@Viktor apparently someone in the Nature canteen was wearing your Genetic keyboard t-shit yesterday! I guess we all love a bit of geek chic memorabilia ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Kathryn DeFilippo says:

I am so glad that I found this blog. It is so wonderful, inspiring and fun to see science and art together. Thanks for keeping science sexy!

Kathryn